Right around this time of year, I inevitably get the flu no matter what I do. I must say my elderberry tincture shortened the duration, but those lymph nodes….ow. As a result of said flu, I grew haggard, tired and in need of some de-sugaring, some real TLC. This means time for a quick recipe to bring the body back to health (in between cookies here, let us be real).
Enter the “perfect” carrot-ginger dressing that finally (after much tinkering) reached that addictive taste sensation of my local sushi joint. It is tangy, salty, sweet and fresh. It embodies that which we call “umami.” Mmmmmm, umami.
So, here is is! The long-awaited dressing of my dreams. Much more simple than pie.
makes enough to fill an old glass kombucha bottle and 1 salad for me (4-6 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped carrots
- 1/4 of a white onion
- 6 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp sweet miso (It is white in color-this is key. I would go organic to avoid soy GMO’s here.)
- 4 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin (Japanese cooking wine-sake could do)
- 2-4 Tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh peeled ginger (about 2 large thumbs full)
1. Throw ingedients in your blender on chop. Chop for a bit. Then puree until dressing is pureed. See above for a visual texture guideline.
2. Place a few Tbsp on some arugula or other fresh salad greens. I like to throw a handful of garbanzo beans on it.
It couldn’t be easier once you have the ingredients, really. Check your local Asian market or large grocery store or head online for the more esoteric ingredients.
Speaking of TLC, this song popped into my head as the devil on my shoulder told me I am “dang unpretty” with those few holiday pounds and the flu having kicked my behind.
Here is what I have to say to that with a philosophical message to all of you who may not be loving themselves AFTER all that holiday feasting.
#1 – Enjoy the feasting. Holidays are for fun and family and food, IMHO.
#2 – Mix it up with this salad to give your body the nutritious boost it needs to make you feel like a rockstar.
#3- TLC (the 90′s band-yep) has a tongue-in-cheek response to this! Though there are some elements in this song that send mixed messages (eg. the girls in revealing genie wear), the message is this: Don’t let ANYONE tell you are unpretty. You are beautiful. As you are.
Now finish that holiday cookie and begin to build the nourishment so you don’t catch this crazy flu. This is my “sage” advice for what it is worth.