To usher in the Lenten Season (in which I will be going 40 days Gluten-Free), I offer you this, my favorite baked oatmeal recipe. Baked oatmeal makes an easy breakfast for the whole week as it reheats so very well. It also makes a fabulous dinner. Snack on it if you will. But most of all, taste the heartiness in the oats, the sweetness of the fruit, the creaminess of the milk or yogurt and hearken back to simpler times. Tis’ the Lenten thing to do.
Cinnamon Apple Raisin Baked Oatmeal
- 3 cups of rolled (certified gluten-free if need be) oats
- 1/2 cup organic dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 1/3 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large pastured eggs
- 1 cup raw milk or almond milk
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shredded + 1/2 cup diced organic apple
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
1. Mix together well the dry ingredients, making sure to disperse the baking powder.
2. Beat the two eggs until fluffy then beat in the other wet ingredients.
3. Grate your apples into a bowl.
4. Combine apples with other wet ingredients. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
5. Grease a pan with butter or coconut oil.
6. Pour mixture into pan.
7. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
8. Serve with whole milk yogurt on the side or drenched in raw or almond milk.