Thick, wet snow is falling in sheets outside the cafe window. Outside the glass people are cringing beneath their thin knit hats. The sleet is no match for their attire. Who knew this day would bring such an oppressive hand?
Inside I catch a wiff of brown sugared butter pastry and it mingles with a toasty Mexican Chiapas. My brew has grown lukewarm and acidic, lingering on my tongue, it sours the sides.
But the baker replenishing the spiced donuts and flaky croissants lends a glimmer of hope. A new, fresh cup is on the horizon. If only we just reach for it.
This weather makes me like a hibernating bear. Lazy. Time to get that warm cuppa and hold it to my cheek.
In the meantime, there is oatmeal to be made at home. The other day this warm gingerbread spiced pecan oatmeal concoction kept the winter chill away and I hope it does for you too, barring braving the wintry winds to your local cafe. Spicy, nutty, chewy, crisp with a hint of maple, this oatmeal embodies a mother’s warmth. Topped off with some creamy milk and made with quick oats, it is instant gratification.
I was given the gingerbread spices by Raw Spice Bar, a subscription based spice company. If you are looking to “spice” up your life with a little surprise, this box is totally affordable ($6 a month) and includes 3 full spice packet blends and accompanying recipes for the culinary challenged. You know, those times you need a little push into the kitchen.
Yes, I know about that too.
- 1 cup rolled quick oats
- 4 Tbsp chopped roasted pecans
- 2 tsp gingerbread spice mix (or mix 2 Tbsp cinnamon, 2 Tbsp allspice, 2 Tbsp ginger, 1 tsp nutmeg, pinch of clove)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup + more for drizzling on top
- Milk of choice
- In a kettle heat up a few cups of hot water to boiling.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, half of the pecans, salt and the spices.
- When the tea kettle whistles, take water off of the stove.
- Divide oats between two bowls or keep it in one if you wish.
- Add enough water to wet the oats and just cover.
- Let sit for a minute to absorb the water, stirring once.
- Stir in the 2 Tbsp of maple syrup.
- Top with the rest of the pecans and as much maple syrup as you wish.
Enjoy and stay warm. Love, S